Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-06-2010, 13:35
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda View Post
I would actually argue that isn't the case - just from looking at what I've seen them play I've seen EMG far far less (almost half) than I've seen ADFL like they never played it at all on the Lifeblood tour, never played it on the half I saw of the US tour last year. I've seen EMG 79 times, where as songs like No Surface and Kevin Carter are only just behind on 68 and 60 respectively. Admittedly thats still a lot of plays but it wouldn't even make my top ten most seen songs (and bearing in mind I first saw them EMG tour so if they did always play it I'd have seen it every gig).
Amanda- I love reading your posts of song stats/tours I could read them all day!

But yeah I'll still enjoy a gig no matter what they play. As long as they do one other Holy Bible track apart from Faster in October I'll be happy enough. But they really could do without Tolerate. Seriously.
Old 03-06-2010, 13:37
Under neon loneliness

I think a considerable amount of their setlist complacency can be pinned to Wire's lack of musical confidence. James I think could fairly easily crack out a much wider range of stuff and I imagine Sean's not too far behind, but most of the setlist mainstays have very simple or repetitive basslines. I also think James would fall down on the lyrics to a lot of the stuff they play less often, I mean he forgets the words to the mainstays at times so I guess that's a factor too.

It's easy to say "if you don't want to see the same set don't go to multiple gigs", but the band know many of us do go to multiple gigs and I don't think it's too unreasonable to expect them to try and create setlists which cater for all sections of the audience. I personally loathe YSTS and would love to never hear it again, but I appreciate a lot of late-90s fans are there to hear that and Tolerate. However a lot of songs neither the casuals or the hardcore are particularly bothered about seem to be in that second tier of "often played" and I think that that dross could be cut - Kevin Carter etc, it's been done to death and is pretty much irrelevant, imo. Personally I'd put Ocean Spray, The Everlasting and Robeson in that same bracket.

Things like the PPF tour show they know what we want. The SATT tour was good though, JFPL was at least something different and I hope that trend continues. I'm certainly looking forward to what they'll do now but yeah, Wire's comment is ridiculous given their conservative live history.
Old 03-06-2010, 13:50
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundthatsoul View Post
Amanda- I love reading your posts of song stats/tours I could read them all day!
Ha ha, for the sake of other people I probably never should have made a spreadsheet, but I do love a spreadsheet and I do love a statistic. Like if I never made a spreadsheet I wouldn't know that the album I've seen the most songs from (16.39% of all manics songs I've seen live) is EMG, and if I didn't know that how would I be able to sleep at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzb View Post
I think a considerable amount of their setlist complacency can be pinned to Wire's lack of musical confidence. James I think could fairly easily crack out a much wider range of stuff and I imagine Sean's not too far behind, but most of the setlist mainstays have very simple or repetitive basslines. I also think James would fall down on the lyrics to a lot of the stuff they play less often, I mean he forgets the words to the mainstays at times so I guess that's a factor too.
I'd say the latter is just as much a factor as otherwise surely there'd be more variety night on night in the acoustic bit which to be honest would probably one of the easiest places to include a curveball.
Old 03-06-2010, 13:54
Under neon loneliness

Hmm. I think James is very self-conscious in those bits and that's as much/more of a factor in him sticking to songs anyone could play in their sleep.
Old 03-06-2010, 13:57
Doors slowly closing

I still can't believe he did Archives of Pain acoustically on his solo tour.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:02
Administrator

At the end of the day, it's their gigs so they should play what they enjoy. They also do need to play a reasonable number of hits at every gig for the casual fans. But this probably only numbers 6 or 7, which I don't mind coming out at every gig - for a band that's been going as long as them, it's probably fair enough.

It's also ok to play almost the same setlist everynight - I mean I find it boring, but that's one of the risks you take if you go to lots of gigs. However, they can't then come out and claim, like Wire seem to frequently do, things like 'springsteenesque' sets, or we have so many songs to choose from it's hard to pick setlists. They don't even need to do a vast amount to shake them up...e.g. Enola/Alone, Elvis, Removables rather than EMG/Kevin Carter, Tsunami/something off TIMT instead of Stole the sun etc.....a few lifeblood tracks, something other than singles from the other albums etc...

Gigs shouldn't just be about kareoke though, the big hits are great to keep the crowd moving, but it's not just about that. For example, the crowd doesn't move at a sigur ros gig (well mostly), it doesn't mean there's any less enjoyment. You can appreciate a song without going wild, and that seems to be something they don't appreciate. Playing lifeblood songs would please a lot of the crowd, and at the very least expose people to new material...

I mean, when you look at what they play regularly off the albums, it's really only EMG where you have much hope of a non-single track.....TIMT is always singles, KYE is pretty much only ever the two singles, Lifeblood is usually nothing, GATS is usually the two singles, THB is usually restricted to Faster, GT is usually the staple few singles, SATT is the two singles.

Don't get me wrong, I love the band, I'm sure most of us do - that's probably why we are sometimes critical, because we are such big fans. It would just be lovely to see some of my favourite songs that I basically have no hope of ever hearing now.

Last edited by Takk; 03-06-2010 at 14:08.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:08
HBIC

I would definitely buy tickets for any gig where they did a cover version of This Charming Man (with Nicky on vocals). In fact I'd pay twice.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:10
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
I would definitely buy tickets for any gig where they did a cover version of This Charming Man (with Nicky on vocals). In fact I'd pay twice.
...THIS
Old 03-06-2010, 14:15
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Kirby View Post
You can tell James is bored of performing a song when he doesn't bother finishing half the lines or does them in that can't-be-arsed-to-sing-properly whine. Which is most of the setlist these days!

And even on ME he can now only bring himself to sing 'Ego loaded and swallow... wee'.
That is not from boredom. That is from being an aging smoker who is losing his lung capacity, and needs to conserve so that he can still jump around and play guitar.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:19
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post
...THIS
Would also pay for a cover of Dancing Queen.

Just sayin' Sean...if you're reading.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:25
Freed from the century

Quote:

Ooh!

WANT.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:33
I live to fall asleep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth M View Post
Ooh!

WANT.
Well, they do have a history of random covers...would it any weirder than them covering "Umbrella" or "Last Christmas"?
Old 03-06-2010, 14:34
HBIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by exopotamie View Post
Well, they do have a history of random covers...would it any weirder than them covering "Umbrella" or "Last Christmas"?
EXACTLY.
Old 03-06-2010, 14:53
Winterlover

Not that this would be my dream setlist but I think that they could play like this and I'd really appreciate it!

Motorcycle Emptiness/You Stole The Sun From My Heart/Australia/Everything Must Go
Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
a Postcards From A Young Man song
Yes/Faster/Die In The Summertime
Peeled Apples/Jackie Collins
Empty Souls/1985/Solitude Sometimes Is
an unusual album track/a b-side
a KYE track
Tolerate/Motorcycle Emptiness/Masses

two acoustic songs VERY rotated (SMBTGITS, TIY, Donkeys, RFD, SWSS, SSI, Yes etc...)

Elvis Impersonator/Kevin Carter/EnolaAlone/Everything Must Go
a JFPL track
a SATT track
You Love Us/Motown Junk/Motorcycle Emptiness
A Design For Life
Old 03-06-2010, 15:04
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

We should totally do an auction to get them to play songs. One per gig, all the money to charity, highest bid wins!