Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Live Forum

Old 05-11-2022, 01:25
Freed from the century

Setlist and length were pretty much what I expected. I'll always complain when they trot out the same singles for decades on end...but I had a great time. I get to see them once a decade* so I just did my best to be present in the moment last night. I thought the band seemed quite hesitant as they walked on stage but quickly settled in once they realized there were people in the room and they were going to sing and bounce around.

I last saw them in 2013 and they played exactly 1 song from 4 albums released since then. Interesting contrast to Suede who came out and kicked off their set with 3 songs from their newest record...

* except this time when I get to see them tomorrow in Seattle, too. Hoping they maybe adjust their setlist? If only so it's a mix for me. But Suicide Is Painless, Walk Me To The Bridge, and It's Not War didn't really get the crowd going at all...
Old 05-11-2022, 10:19
Bored out of my mind

Looked like a really good audience!
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:03
Knowlede Is Power

Think 16 songs is fair given they’re co-headlining with Suede but two (probably their worst) covers is a bit uncalled for. Surely you replace them with International Blue and something off TUVL or almost anything else from their back catalogue.
Old 05-11-2022, 11:51
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

If you're going to play a hits setlist, go full on in. Given the short setlist, they could really jettison the covers and C-tier singles like It's not War, Autumn Song, Everlasting and Suicide is Painless. The Manics have one of strongest hits catalogue of any band. Plenty of room for Found that Soul, International Blue, Show me the Wonder, Orwellian and Masses. James did say they might rotate more songs this tour so hopefully things pick up.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 05-11-2022, 12:40
Bored out of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozendiva View Post
I think I saw him, but don’t know him.

Both bands were excellent. Suede was off my musical radar for a while but Anderson put on one heck of a show. Sean has become a silver fox. James is still one of the best frontmen and rock guitarists. They seemed to enjoy the western Canadian crowd. I know a few folks traveled to Vancouver. Nicky was chatty. It was great to see folks dancing and singing. I was also happy that many audience members were older than me.
No worries! Glad you all had an amazing time! 😁
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 05-11-2022, 13:36
Bored of being bored

I've praised Suede previously for how they balance their set lists between classic hits new stuff and rarities, but in reality their set list seemed a little ordinary. Four from their very recently released album, eight 'classic' singles from their first three albums, two regularly played songs from the three reunion albums and one album track from Dog Man Star. Three of their nine albums completely untouched.

Maybe both bands are playing things a little safe to kick off with till they get a feel for the audiences.
Old 05-11-2022, 17:25
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA ex View Post
I've praised Suede previously for how they balance their set lists between classic hits new stuff and rarities, but in reality their set list seemed a little ordinary. Four from their very recently released album, eight 'classic' singles from their first three albums, two regularly played songs from the three reunion albums and one album track from Dog Man Star. Three of their nine albums completely untouched.
They haven't toured North America since 1997. 95% of the crowd had never seen them before. I'd say for a 15 song setlist, Suede hit the mark pretty well.
Old 05-11-2022, 17:25
Freed from the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
If you're going to play a hits setlist, go full on in. Given the short setlist, they could really jettison the covers and C-tier singles like It's not War, Autumn Song, Everlasting and Suicide is Painless. The Manics have one of strongest hits catalogue of any band. Plenty of room for Found that Soul, International Blue, Show me the Wonder, Orwellian and Masses. James did say they might rotate more songs this tour so hopefully things pick up.
AGREED
Old 05-11-2022, 18:02
Stretched out in the sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver View Post
They haven't toured North America since 1997. 95% of the crowd had never seen them before. I'd say for a 15 song setlist, Suede hit the mark pretty well.
It has been about 25 years. I had never seen Suede live. Both bands showed up, did not phone it in. Some younger artists should pay attention. I do know if it was where I was, but there were some sound issues with Suede.
Old 06-11-2022, 17:29
Freed from the century

Well we went to Seattle last night.

Manics played the exact same set but dropped It's Not War...they did not add a song to take its place. They were perhaps a TOUCH tighter than in Vancouver. It's a very good chance that that will be the last time I see them so I just tried to take it all in.

Suede mixed things up a BIT...but they were not nearly as good as they were in Vancouver.

Hope everyone else enjoys the tour!
Old 08-11-2022, 17:05
Bored of being bored

International Blue added to the set list for last night
Old 09-11-2022, 01:13
Freed from the century

BASTARDS
Old 10-11-2022, 09:26
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

Slash N Burn back in the setlist!

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 21-11-2022, 09:35
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagainstyou View Post
What have you decided? I hope I didn't scare you off
Hi, I know that this might be the weirdest of questions, but I'm wondering "what's the danger?". I mean, I'm from Italy, and I know that here there are dangerous zones, but in my head Canada should be the safest place ever, and instead I've read your messages (and Vancouver's) where you don't write what is the danger, just because you know it. But I don't, so just out of curiosity, can you explain what danger lies in certain zones of Canada?
Thank you and sorry for the weird question.
Old 21-11-2022, 15:09
Bored of being bored

Homelessness and drug addiction

You can watch this video, for example:
https://youtu.be/OUf1WaiZbvc (the first couple of minutes)

or this one if you have more time:
https://youtu.be/PT8OU8Yhs_s

or this one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=x26mtaxN-o4 (WARNING disturbing content)

or read this article:
Bus drivers raise Downtown Eastside concerns

or read this reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...lic_transport/

Last edited by usagainstyou; 21-11-2022 at 18:46.