Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 03-05-2010, 11:42
I live to fall asleep

Yeah i like it, find it really beautiful.
I'm not a great admirer of beauty, so it is my joint least favourite.
Yet I'll love it when winter comes again

Twitter!

"To the hideousness of nineteenth-century industrialization is added the desolation of twentieth-century obsolescence. The Black Country looks like Ceaucescu's Romania with fast food outlets."
Theodore Dalrymple

Old 03-05-2010, 11:49
Mr Msppedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I love TLORN, James's voice is very interesting on it.
I still remember the first play on Jo Whiley's show I think it was and just thinking "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HIS VOICE YOU BASTARDS!!!" But it's since grown on me

But yeah I loved Lifeblood on first listen and still do, it's probably the album with the least skippable tracks for me (Always/Never, Emily) and I think the Manics hgave taken a very harsh view on it just cause it didn't sell all that well.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:14
Builder of routine

I really enjoyed it first time, it was more accessible than their other albums, I even felt like havign a bit of a dance but I restrained myself.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:39
Winterlover

IT'S A MANICS ALBUM THEREFORE IT'S GREAT.

It was around the time I was very obsessed so I tried to convince myself it was amazing, which it obviously isn't. Saw them live at the December tour for the first time then as well so it seemed more of an exciting time than it actually was.
1985 and Solitude Sometimes Is was just on repeat mainly, and it was out around the time my granny died and it always brings back memories of that time and me listening it in my headphones coming back from the wake and all. So it's quite a morbid and sad album for me.
I always thought Emily was shite though.
Old 03-05-2010, 13:09
I live to fall asleep

I had a look back at my livejournal recently and found an entry from fall 2004.

It went like this (may be slightly paraphrased ) "I just wanted to announce that [my then-boyfriend] and I are engaged to be married and OMG I'M LISTENING TO THE NEW MANICS ALBUM"

I’m faintly amused at my 18-year-old self, and also very relieved that the wedding didn’t happen, as something must have been wrong if I was less excited about my future marriage than I was about the release of Lifeblood.
Old 03-05-2010, 13:14
Doors slowly closing

I skipped my first lesson to go to HMV and buy it, listened to it on the bus back to school on my CD walkman. I loved it and still do.
Old 03-05-2010, 15:20
I live to fall asleep

I actually thought...boooring, since I liked their 'punkier' stuff better. GT is still my fav album and will probably always be. the more I've listened to Lifeblood, the more it have grown on me and now I think I love it, not only like it a lot but *love* it. 'To Repel Ghosts' are one of their best songs ever, imho and the album, as a whole, is very...pleasant, in an odd kinda way, to listen to. I do, however think that some of the B-sides are much better than some songs on the actual album. (well, duuuuh).
'Emily' and 'Cardiff Afterlife' have been played a lot @ my place these last days.

Old 03-05-2010, 15:24
Doors slowly closing

I was thinking after a few listens that the second half of it is bloody awful and they should have just released the first half as an ep. I still feel the same.
Old 03-05-2010, 15:49
Stretched out in the sun

WHATISTHISSHIT?!?! THIS ISN'T MANICS THIS IS OVERPRODUCED NONSENSE.

It is now my 3rd favourite Manics album.
Old 03-05-2010, 15:59
Knowlede Is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocultureicons View Post
I felt embarrassed for them and it resulted in me losing interest and faith in them for a while.

I like it a lot more now but it's still their worst album for me.
Yeah, same here.
I had lost some faith with TIMTTMY and KTE but Lifeblood put the nail in the coffin for me. Can appreciate it a bit more now but I still can't listen to it all the way through without turning it off or falling asleep.
I'm a confirmed 'rockist'...
Old 03-05-2010, 16:25
Knowlede Is Power

It was the first new material from the Manics for me since being an obsessive, so was automatically pretty critical at first. I remember being very embarrassed when first seeing TLORichardNixon video. I'd read lots of reviews that it was quieter and very produced, so knew what to expect. I'd watched the Jools Holland performances and liked Empty Souls and A Song For A Departure much more. By the time the album came out I thought it was very pop, but much better than I had imagined it would be. I remember Solitude Sometimes Is stood out.
Old 03-05-2010, 16:30
I am purity, they call me perverted

Count me in with the people who didn't like it on the first listen! I thought 1985 was fairly hookless, never liked TLORN, and only really got into Empty Souls/Song for Departure/I Live to Fall Asleep/Cardiff Afterlife.

I thought most of it was pretty boring and one-note, luckily I've come around to it.
Old 03-05-2010, 17:14
Bored out of my mind

I did go 'Huh, what?' when I first heard TLORN on TOTP but quickly fell in love with it. James' voice is da bomb! (or words to that effect! )
"Former glam-punk rocker James Dean Bradfield now looks like your friendly, slightly rumpled Welsh uncle who always brings you chocolate when he visits. That's not a bad thing." - Allister Thompson aka The Gateless Gate (Canadian musician)
Old 03-05-2010, 20:54
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gutless Wonder View Post
I did go 'Huh, what?' when I first heard TLORN on TOTP but quickly fell in love with it. James' voice is da bomb! (or words to that effect! )
LOL! everytime I head TLORN I laugh... but it's great album
Old 03-05-2010, 21:06
Doors slowly closing

I've always like TLORN. I wonder will they ever play it live again? Probably not. The one time I did see them play they looked a little embarrassed. Let's just play it quickly and move onto to more Holy Bible tracks