Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 14-05-2020, 19:37
I am purity, they call me perverted

Manic Street Speakers Podcast

Good evening everyone!

Just to let you know that me and my friend Emma have started a new podcast this week. As a background to it, the idea was formed over a year ago but many life dramas meant it didn't happen in 2019. The purpose of the pod is not to supply an in depth critical analysis pf the band and their work but to act as a place for fans to come and share their stories and views. We want it to be about the feeling and emotion that the band give us the fans. We want it to be a safe place where we can geek out about B-sides, shows and fandom in-jokes. We would love a wide variety of contributions from fans telling their unique experiences. We have lots of plans and ideas in the pipeline.

Yes, we are aware of the Do You Love Us podcast and when I first heard about it I was gutted but having listened to their first episode (I will catch up with them all) a couple of months ago I was relieved to find out it's a different take to what we want from ours.

Lastly, after the presence of a troll on twitter one day after episode 1 was published can I please ask that any criticism is constructive. We are more than happy to take on suggestions as well. I am not a natural public speaker and it's my first time doing something like this. The first show is rough but with more experience it will get better and hopefully develop into something lovely. My love of the band is what drives me to do it. Plus, the more contributions we can get from the listeners the less there'll be of us waffling on!

Thank you.

Michael.

I don't know why I signed this off like a letter.

Last edited by framedadolescence; 14-05-2020 at 19:53.
Old 15-05-2020, 00:39
Doors slowly closing

The more Manics podcasts the better as far as I’m concerned! I enjoyed the first episode, looking forward to more.

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 15-05-2020, 10:00
Born to end

I echo what Porco says!

Personally I find podcasts like these are a lot more engaging than those presented by professional broadcasters so I say just keep doing what you're doing. I think, especially during times like these, its nice to hear chatter that wouldn't be out of place in a pub - populated with Manics fans.

Just last week I started a thread called Manic Moments where I was reminiscing about my "first listens" and how certain songs are linked to some very fond memories. So it was really nice to hear you both share your stories.
Old 15-05-2020, 12:42
I live to fall asleep

Is there much banter in this one?
Old 16-05-2020, 20:23
Winterlover

Sweeeet. You wait for a podcast to come along and then two come along at once, it's an embarrassment of riches.
Any chance of an mp3 download for those who don't use spotify? Or has anyone by chance saved the stream?
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 16-05-2020, 20:41
Born to end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Sweeeet. You wait for a podcast to come along and then two come along at once, it's an embarrassment of riches.
Any chance of an mp3 download for those who don't use spotify? Or has anyone by chance saved the stream?
You can listen to it hear without downloading anything.

https://shows.acast.com/manic-street-speakers/episodes
Old 16-05-2020, 22:21
Winterlover

Oh nice, thanks for that. Thought it was just on spotify.

Hopefully this should link directly to the mp3 for anyone who wants it...

https://assets-do.pippa.io/shows/5eb...5a3e2acae5.mp3
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity.
Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America,
and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.
Old 16-05-2020, 22:48
Doors slowly closing

Also an Apple podcasts link if you want to subscribe to the feed that way:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...s/id1512819366

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 17-05-2020, 00:15
Bored of being bored

Thumbs up guys! I really enjoyed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by framedadolescence View Post
I am not a natural public speaker and it's my first time doing something like this. The first show is rough but with more experience it will get better and hopefully develop into something lovely.
You both sounded very professional

Last edited by usagainstyou; 17-05-2020 at 00:21.
Old 17-05-2020, 20:02
Winterlover

Sounded fine to me as well, apart from mrsmanics sounding like she was using a plastic cup with string though i'm sure that can be sorted.

No love lost with this place though, huh?
Which is fair enough i suppose but you're on the cesspit that is twitter which makes any negativity on here look positively polite in comparison. I see you're already getting some trolling, unfortunately.
Old 26-05-2020, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Sounded fine to me as well, apart from mrsmanics sounding like she was using a plastic cup with string though i'm sure that can be sorted.

No love lost with this place though, huh?
Which is fair enough i suppose but you're on the cesspit that is twitter which makes any negativity on here look positively polite in comparison. I see you're already getting some trolling, unfortunately.
Hi! Just to clarify, It wasn't intended as a dig at this place. I suppose we were referring to the fact that in can get a bit negative sometimes. But that's the internet. I come on here lots, even if I don't post lots. I love checking in on what's going on. But yes you are correct. Twitter is a million times worse but we need to use it as a tool to promote the podcast.
Old 26-05-2020, 13:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by usagainstyou View Post
Thumbs up guys! I really enjoyed it

You both sounded very professional
Thank you! Hopefully episode 2 is showing signs of progression
Old 26-05-2020, 13:39

Episode 2 is now live!

We reveal the first origin stories from listeners and delve into Boxes And Lists. We also chat to James at the Oasis Podcast about the importance of arrogance in the early careers of both the Manics and Oasis.

It's available here:

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcas...=1000475789866

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1ao...RjywhHPsugyA8w

https://open.acast.com/shows/5eb3ff6...3a4ac7b?page=1
Old 26-05-2020, 19:49
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by framedadolescence View Post
Hi! Just to clarify, It wasn't intended as a dig at this place. I suppose we were referring to the fact that in can get a bit negative sometimes. But that's the internet. I come on here lots, even if I don't post lots. I love checking in on what's going on. But yes you are correct. Twitter is a million times worse but we need to use it as a tool to promote the podcast.
I certainly remember the days when this place had its fair share of scumbags making people's lives a misery, not just online but spilling out into meatspace as well. It's really easy to forget that it pre-dates twitter and facebuck and i'm not being protective or precious about it, i've gone through the love/hate relationship with it myself over the years but trolling on social media now has taken on a whole new level of nastiness that makes those days look quaint.

By the by, direct link to the pod mp3 for those who want it...

https://assets-do.pippa.io/shows/5eb...8fb100e7a0.mp3

Last edited by Tim; 26-05-2020 at 21:36.
Old 27-05-2020, 19:59
Winterlover

Interesting guest on this latest ep though i don't agree with everything you talked about. I used to hate SYMM as well for the reasons stated but it's been brought up before on here that it has given some comfort to the victim's families and that made me reassess it. What could nicky possibly write in the verses that would not sound trite and even patronising? I think the strength of the song comes from the writer admitting his inability to offer facile answers to how disgustingly those families were treated by the police and the press but then you have the chorus which really does not pull its punches and is all you need to know. You mentioned 30 year war as being a response to this song and while it has some parallels with how the tories continue to behave like shits i thought perhaps you got it mistaken with liverpool revisited which you know is a direct response to the justice for hillsborough campaign.