Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 29-04-2018, 00:21
Builder of routine

Very rare appearance to praise the gig, they always do well when it's Manchester on a Saturday night and they seemed to really have a lot of fun. Sound was pretty good for an arena and the crowd were great. Fun to look around at the 50 or so actually singing along to Horses U S. Splendid.

And no Liverpool Revisited, thank Richey.
Old 29-04-2018, 07:01
Desire on its knees

That's funny - we were complaining about the sound - on some songs including ADFL and Masses we could barely make out the tune. Yet People Give In sounded fabulous.

Really good gig. Nice varied set and we got an extra acoustic song �� the band seemed on good form and whilst the arena wasn't full the atmosphere was really good. Other highlights Distant Colours and Walk Me To The Bridge.

Roll on Leeds and Y Not.

Manic Street Preachers

Rock City Oct 1994; Newport May 1996; Knebworth Aug1996; Exeter Oct 1996; Reading April 1997; Cardiff Dec 1999; Manchester Mar 2001; Brixton Mar 2001; Llandudno Aug 2001; Leeds Festival Aug 2001; Birmingham Dec 2002; Cardiff Dec 2002; Brighton Dec 2004; Manchester Dec 2006; Sheffield May 2007; Bristol June 2007; Birmingham Dec 2007; Reading Festival Aug 2008; Royal Festival Hall Sep 2008; Camden Roundhouse May 2009; Sheffield Oct 2010; London O2 Dec 2011; Manchester Sep 2013; Leeds Mar 2014; Manchester Dec 2014;

James Dean Bradfield

Manchester May 2006; Sheffield Oct 2006; Sheffield Graves Art Gallery Oct 2011
Old 29-04-2018, 08:39
Freed from the century

Amazing gig. Was worried having read the other reviews but the boys were on fire. Although not sold out it was pretty full and the crowd were really up for it.

Were you crushed, Did I rush you, All my time is yours, My twisted heart is yours, The faithless shit is yours, The shameless fits of love that only smother you for moments, Until I fold them up and leave, All yours.
Logic will break your
Old 29-04-2018, 08:46
Under neon loneliness

My 44th gig, and I returned to the scene of my first, once more seated. My first MSP gig was the FD tour, and we had tickets right at the back, high in the clouds. This time we were right by the stage, at the front, and had the best view that short arsed me has ever had other than when I've got to the barrier. The standing area was packed, and the seats were respectably full, though not sold out. Lots of the people seated near me seemed to be enthusiastic fans who had brought a less enthusiastic other half with them, but it didn't take the band long to win people over.
The standing crowd are definitely less bouncy than fifteen, or even ten years ago. It's natural, we're getting older as a fanbase, and our joints aren't as enthusiastic about spending half an hour jumping about. I did find that shouty pointy turned out to be excellent physio for a stiff shoulder that had been bothering me for a few months but is much better this morning, Thank you Manics Less bouncy doesn't mean less enthusiastic though, and it seemed to be a happy crowd. Manchester on a Saturday night.
I absolutely loved the setlist, and the new songs that didn't quite grab me in their studio versions sounded absolutely immense live. The Anchoress was welcomed and it was fab to get a female voice on Little Baby Nothing. A three song acoustic set was a real treat too, and was very well received with the Manchester crowd ready and willing to sing along.
Nicky was on good form, he had a bee in his bonnet about people dressing like ramblers, and aimed a barb at James, who responded that he was 'fit for purpose'. Who can argue with that?
Finally, the venue was brilliant, thank you MEN for a very well organised gig. From start to finish we felt welcomed. It's rare for Spring gig not to get overheated, but I realised as I left that I'd not felt uncomfortably hot at any point. I know, it's a middle aged thing to say after a rock gig, but I'm middle aged.
Old 29-04-2018, 09:04
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
My 44th gig, and I returned to the scene of my first, once more seated. My first MSP gig was the FD tour, and we had tickets right at the back, high in the clouds.
Great review.

If it has been your 44th gig (!) since 2002, how many gigs per tour did you go on?!? Which tour did you see the most? Which is your fav gig?!
Old 29-04-2018, 09:41
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
Great review.

If it has been your 44th gig (!) since 2002, how many gigs per tour did you go on?!? Which tour did you see the most? Which is your fav gig?!
These days it's mostly two gigs, one alone and one with my other half. Back in the early 2000s I'd do four or five. I think the PPF tour counts as my golden days, Derby, Wolves, Swansea, Liverpool, Edinburgh and Leeds.

Favourite gig? I can't decide between the first Holy Bible 20th Anniversary gig at Barrowlands, and the second one at the Albert Hall in Manchester. Barrowlands had the moment of the three band members walking onto the stage and meeting the absolute roar of love from the crowd for the first time that tour. Manchester had the same thing, but was in an amazing venue.

There are people who have been to hundreds of gigs, I'm a small time fan
Old 29-04-2018, 09:45
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

I'd put that Barrowlands gig at no.2 on my list. Perfect synergy between audience and band, both feeding off each other and giving the other reason to go for more.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 29-04-2018, 10:18
Builder of routine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine Builder View Post
Seems like the PFAYM tour all over again. Let's play the singles again rather than songs off the album were actually touring...

Let Robeson Sing? I like the song in its live incarnation but it's a crowd killer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Selfdestruct View Post
Has to be the worst track 4-7 on a set of theirs I've ever come across. And Faster acoustic! Fucking ouch! What a kick in the balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
My 44th gig, and I returned to the scene of my first, once more seated. My first MSP gig was the FD tour, and we had tickets right at the back, high in the clouds. This time we were right by the stage, at the front, and had the best view that short arsed me has ever had other than when I've got to the barrier. The standing area was packed, and the seats were respectably full, though not sold out. Lots of the people seated near me seemed to be enthusiastic fans who had brought a less enthusiastic other half with them, but it didn't take the band long to win people over.
The standing crowd are definitely less bouncy than fifteen, or even ten years ago. It's natural, we're getting older as a fanbase, and our joints aren't as enthusiastic about spending half an hour jumping about. I did find that shouty pointy turned out to be excellent physio for a stiff shoulder that had been bothering me for a few months but is much better this morning, Thank you Manics Less bouncy doesn't mean less enthusiastic though, and it seemed to be a happy crowd. Manchester on a Saturday night.
I absolutely loved the setlist, and the new songs that didn't quite grab me in their studio versions sounded absolutely immense live. The Anchoress was welcomed and it was fab to get a female voice on Little Baby Nothing. A three song acoustic set was a real treat too, and was very well received with the Manchester crowd ready and willing to sing along.
Nicky was on good form, he had a bee in his bonnet about people dressing like ramblers, and aimed a barb at James, who responded that he was 'fit for purpose'. Who can argue with that?
Finally, the venue was brilliant, thank you MEN for a very well organised gig. From start to finish we felt welcomed. It's rare for Spring gig not to get overheated, but I realised as I left that I'd not felt uncomfortably hot at any point. I know, it's a middle aged thing to say after a rock gig, but I'm middle aged.
Great review. My first gig was the FD tour at Wembley and I'll be sitting roughly in the same place on Friday I thought about swapping it for standing but I'm short too and I'm looking forward to the uninterrupted view.
Old 29-04-2018, 14:44
Bored out of my mind

Really enjoyed this one and the venue was a lot fuller than I was expecting. Manchester Arena is huuuge and I was worried what the crowd would look like in it, but the floor seemed really full and squishy down the front and there was a decent amount of people in the lower tier of seats too. Crowd were very typical 'Manchester on a Saturday night', but after flat crowds at some of the previous gigs this tour, it was a welcome relief to have some atmosphere. Although, I know from Twitter/Facebook, there was some obnoxious idiots trying to ruin things for people (there are always some like that, wherever you go ), so that's a shame. We thankfully didn't have any issues though, so I guess it depends where you were stood.

I'm not a fan of the venue, as it's always had a notoriously shit entry system for those who turn up early and want the barrier. I've been 5 times to date and the times we queued really early, we got screwed over and missed the front row and the other times we've come later, we've made it to the front, so it is pot luck. I felt a bit bad getting such a good spot last night (right in the middle of the barrier), but that seems to be the way this venue works. You get split into so many sub-queues, it's impossible to stay in the right order, so sorry if anyone who turned up early didn't get where they wanted. It's why I don't bother turning up mega early for that venue anymore.

On another note re: the venue, it was weird and a bit eerie being at the City Room entrance and going through the airport-style security. I was a bit surprised how unfinished the foyer still looks and have to say, I did have a bit of a moment of reflection whilst we waited to go through. It's hard to be there and not think about what happened last year for me.

Anyway...to the gig itself! At least they re-jigged the song order up a bit at the beginning. The Anchoress worked well on Little Baby Nothing and Dylan and Caitlin...and definitely upstaged Nicky with her leopard print outfit There are a few songs I'm bored of now though; YLAINE can go away forever as far as I'm concerned (I know it won't though) and I think they could play any number of KYE songs rather than Let Robeson Sing. The band seemed in good spirits; James really growled his way through acoustic Faster and Nicky has seemed a lot happier since Brum.

The sound was a bit iffy in places (especially during The Coral's set; SO loud and the vibrations were making my whole body shake), but in other parts it was absolutely fine, so don't know what that was all about. But overall, it was a good night and they did pretty well in such a huge space. Still would have preferred the Apollo though, but never mind

Photos to follow later...although I didn't have my camera out much tbh, as the crowd was pretty bouncy round me.
Old 29-04-2018, 15:56
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Unknown Girl View Post

On another note re: the venue, it was weird and a bit eerie being at the City Room entrance and going through the airport-style security. I was a bit surprised how unfinished the foyer still looks and have to say, I did have a bit of a moment of reflection whilst we waited to go through. It's hard to be there and not think about what happened last year for me.
It was in my mind too. I can't imagine ever being at the MEN (or indeed, Victoria Station) without thinking about that night.
Old 29-04-2018, 16:37
Knowlede Is Power

Great Night fully enjoyed the performance There by the grace of god was a good suprise

Chelsmford V99
Reading + Leeds 2001
Manchester Apollo 2001
Manchester MEN (Hits)2002
Manchester MEN 2004
Preston guildhall 2005
Winter WonderLand 2006
Gmex 2007
Blackburn St George 2010
Ritz Manchester 2014
Cardiff Castle 2015
SWANSEA LIBERTY 2016
Times Square 2017
Manchester arena 2018
Halifax Piece Hall 2021

Old 29-04-2018, 19:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

Anchoress is claiming 20000 people at the gig is she right? Nowhere near that amount in Birmingham.
Old 29-04-2018, 19:17
Builder of routine

Nah good press tho
Old 29-04-2018, 21:18
Under neon loneliness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl45 View Post
Anchoress is claiming 20000 people at the gig is she right? Nowhere near that amount in Birmingham.
21 K capacity, of course it's hard to judge how many seats were unfilled, but standing was sold out wasn't it?
Old 30-04-2018, 00:29
Bored out of my mind

A few photos: