Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 24-06-2018, 09:37
Builder of routine

I've had a lot of positive comments from people that only have a passing interest in the manics

The comments here have been mainly good I thought
Old 24-06-2018, 19:06
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostfamous View Post

...then on to the TIMTTMY 20th Anniversary deluxe, fold-out poster 'n' badge, double sea foam coloured vinyl, pre-chewed cassette, cuddly-toy box set shenanigans for the rest of 2018.
Never been too bothered with re-issues but I'm really looking forward to this one. TIMTTY is, to me, the most mysterious manics album, one of the most atmospheric and mysterious albums ever done too. The hidden core of the manics feeling is somewhere in there, between the 2nd verse of Tsunami and when You're Tender And You're Tired starts. Really really looking forward to a master that does its expensive, glorious sound some justice. Woulnd't say not to a pre-chewed cassette or two either. Posters too.
Old 26-06-2018, 16:29

Been listening to this album A LOT lately - and I should be mainlining it all through this summer (it's gonna be my "summer of '18 record"), and not only does it get better and better, it coalesces into an ALBUM that works as a whole, like a good album should. While there some songs on it that are better than others, there's no "clear-cut, stand-out" tracks, or fillers that you skip. It's a theme album in the best way. Also, I've noticed how the sequencing is perfect. Probably the best sequenced MSP album yet. My only criticism still stands; that it's a bit over-produced and a bit too "poppy" for my taste - but the aesthetics fit the songs to a tee, so the production actually works.

James' guitar playing is just marvelous too - it doesn't hit you in the face at first, but he's doing some killer rhythm stuff on this album, and while he's not showing off with his solos, they fit the songs perfectly and tastefully. As usual, he's serving the songs and not his ego, like a lot of "guitar heroes" tend to.

I should mention that I recently heard the 3 bonus tracks from the Japanese release, and all three songs are great!
Two of them (Holding Patterns & Mirror Gaze) are as good as any other songs on the album, and would've fit nicely in there somewhere, and there's a mellow acoustic of "International Blue" that James just knocks out of the park with his singing - that would've made for a nice "hidden track". But alas, we get a tight 45-miute album rather than a (slightly) bloated 65-minute epic.
Old 28-06-2018, 08:15

I think James always serves the songs well firstly and like Nicky says in the recent interview James is electrified and full of music, to write more. Could there be another album soon? I'd like it if they released the acoustic versions on an album. Nicky said he was aiming for the esoteric lyrics of Futurology though I think RIF is perfect and I love both albums.
Old 28-06-2018, 09:09
I live to fall asleep

I haven't listened to it in months. People Give In came on my shuffle last night but didn't grab me. Sounds too produced for my liking. But I'm sure I'll listen to it again once the next album is out. Futurology kind of passed me by in 2014 and when RiF was released recently, I started listening to Futurology finally! Ha!
Old 28-06-2018, 11:35
Doors slowly closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europa Gluten Free View Post
I haven't listened to it in months. People Give In came on my shuffle last night but didn't grab me. Sounds too produced for my liking. But I'm sure I'll listen to it again once the next album is out. Futurology kind of passed me by in 2014 and when RiF was released recently, I started listening to Futurology finally! Ha!
That’s funny because PGI has grown on me more recently.

Last time I listened to the whole album was on my holiday on a beach a couple of weeks ago ... made for International Blue!

| PorcoTunes: SC=fdporco YT=PorcoForever |
---“...but the pigs are getting into our garden, and just digging holes, looking for truffles or something…"---
Old 29-06-2018, 10:20
Desire on its knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosetree View Post
I think James always serves the songs well firstly and like Nicky says in the recent interview James is electrified and full of music, to write more. Could there be another album soon? I'd like it if they released the acoustic versions on an album. Nicky said he was aiming for the esoteric lyrics of Futurology though I think RIF is perfect and I love both albums.
I also got the impression from that interview we might get something again soon - hopefully not as long a wait this time!

sounds like James is always itching to do something, and Nicky says he's been inspired by the new Arctic Monkeys (the first time he's mentioned a current inspiration for a while, i think?)... if he's getting back into playing with the band, doing interviews again now after everything that's happened recently, maybe he'll be looking to throw himself into it all again?

reading that interview, he seems quite narked they only hit #2 again - getting the next to #1 could be his next mission?
Old 29-06-2018, 11:31

I'm still waiting on their famed "nebraska" album, most of the problems I have with current manics output is production and the insistence on having strings on everything, almost using them as a crutch instead of trying to get a fitting guitar sound.

It should be a requirement that if they're going heavy on the strings that Mike Hedges produces.....
Old 29-06-2018, 11:52
Hold me she said, Love me to Death

What's worse is that they can't afford strings now so all we get is synths ala 'People Give In'.

Stand back, I have political powers!
Old 29-06-2018, 11:54

Let's just be thankful that we haven't had a repeat of the "Steps" incident yet....
Old 29-06-2018, 22:02
Bored of being bored

Found this review on amazon US and I just have to share

Quote:
Scorpions+My Chemical Romance+Pat Benetar
ByPass-port in handon May 12, 2018

Quite surprised! I've never heard of MSP until I found them in my Amazon 'recommendation' list (way-to-go Bezos! Nice touch!) My first spin/impression; Smash the vocals of the Scorpions (Klaus Meine, on half the songs), the music arrangements of My Chemical Romance and a pinch of Pat Benetar (lyrics-wish)... bake for 2-hrs... and you get this Album. MSP is not a technical-profound band in terms of musical instrumentation. They have no outstanding guitar riffs, nor fine drum works, they are a rock band with splash of pop - something you'd find in the 2000s - but their recipe works.
Old 04-07-2018, 20:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone, somewhere, soon View Post
I also got the impression from that interview we might get something again soon - hopefully not as long a wait this time!

sounds like James is always itching to do something, and Nicky says he's been inspired by the new Arctic Monkeys (the first time he's mentioned a current inspiration for a while, i think?)... if he's getting back into playing with the band, doing interviews again now after everything that's happened recently, maybe he'll be looking to throw himself into it all again?

reading that interview, he seems quite narked they only hit #2 again - getting the next to #1 could be his next mission?
It is a bit surprising that Nicky is inspired by the Arctic Monkeys new album, especially lyrically he says. Perhaps it could mean something quite different for the next album? I think RIF should have been #1.
Hopefully next time.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:54

A few months in and I have to say the album is continuing to grow on me. The Manics 2009-2014 I felt were absolutely brilliant, for a band into second and third decades to be releasing top-tier material like JFPL, RTF and Futurology (as well as the 12 bonus tracks with RTF and Futurology) was amazing. It's rare for a favourite act originating decades past to be releasing compelling music to make you a fan all over again. Wonderful time to be a fan this past 10 years has been. (first saw them live actually in 2007).

RiF on the ipod is a 15 song wonder; added the terrific 'Soundtrack to...', 'Mirror Gaze' and 'Holding Patterns', all three I love for their quirky melodies and soundscapes (Concrete Fields is almost as good). A band 30 years into it and to release 15 or 16 tracks of this quality is not something you see often. The more I listen, the more this new album joins JFPL and Futurology in particular as one of their best.

I love the practise of including the whole album in demo form, two differing versions of a new album to enjoy. Sometimes they've given us three albums - album, album in demo form, and enough B-Sides then to compile another. Very prolific band with a high percentage of those tracks being quality; it's inspiring really.
Old 05-07-2018, 20:01
I live to fall asleep

I love the album, it does get better and better. Brilliant album overall and on first listen I was a little underwhelmed to be honest. New album soon please lads! We need more Manics music and anything else like books and videos, etc.
Old 05-07-2018, 22:30
I live to fall asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemejebus View Post
I'm still waiting on their famed "nebraska" album
It was called 'Rewind The Film'.