Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 15-05-2010, 13:16
I am purity, they call me perverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStone View Post
well, there are songs where the lyrics and music credits are split (with lyrics being credited to either Richey or Nicky or both and music to James and Sean), while others simply say "written by" the four of them. I don't know how to interpret the latter!
But there's nothing pre-EMG with the lyric credits split is there? They're all officially credited to Richey and Nicky, or am I wrong?
Old 15-05-2010, 13:31
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStone View Post
Donkeys is credited as written by the whole band (again, from Lipstick Traces)
And Nicky has credit for Kevin Carter music also. I think he wrote the mid8, the harmony...that's pure Nicky!
It's all about friendship and money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by less than zero View Post
Aren't all there songs as a four piece credited to the whole band, even though we know that's not the case?

I would have thought Bored Out Of My Mind is Nicky and Donkeys is Nicky and Richey.
Well...I don't think Nicky could ever write such a beautiful lyric as Donkeys is... "put some lipstick on at least your lies will be pretty" - that's Richey full stop. And at HMV Store singing in 2003 Nicky said "We have never ever played this song......this is my favourite ever lyric by Richey, it's called Donkeys"

it must be somewhere on Youtube as well...
yes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mjrlu_3Oz8

Quote:
Originally Posted by less than zero View Post
But there's nothing pre-EMG with the lyric credits split is there? They're all officially credited to Richey and Nicky, or am I wrong?
I think so but Nicky has never pretended to have written something that had been Richey's and has always been very clear and open about it.
Old 15-05-2010, 17:09
Knowlede Is Power

I cannot cite a source directly, but things like the aforementioned HMV concert and Nicky mentioning Donkeys clearly as a 'Richey-lyric', imply Donkeys was Richey's. I too adore Bored Out Of My Mind, shame it presumably was written too late to go on GT. I have no idea which wrote it, I tend to guess songs' chief composer by the fact Richey tended to use more metaphors and complex/ formal sentences, whereas Nicky was more political and song-orientated, with catchier, name dropping. All of which is a terrible stereotype that can't be applied to all. I think most pre-HB songs can't be attributed solely to Richey/ Nicky though, as they'd combine or edit each others, and the musicians would edit it more to fit with music they wanted. I think this partly due to what happened with theJFPL special edition.
Old 15-05-2010, 19:53
A self-made vacuum

I'm sure I'd read a Nicky quote attributing Donkeys to Richey, and with Bored Out of Mind - a song I like - I think the chorus reads like a Richey lyric, and the "The media's stinking drunk, nothing is at stake" line does too.

Nicky often titled the songs and added bits and pieces to the lyrics Richey wrote, or was that just THB that I'm thinking of?
Old 16-05-2010, 05:41
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmartyr View Post
Nicky often titled the songs and added bits and pieces to the lyrics Richey wrote, or was that just THB that I'm thinking of?
This is what he said about The Holy Bible. The earlier period is often said to be 50/50, but who knows...