Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum  

Go Back   Forever Delayed - The Independent Manics Forum > Manic Street Preachers > Manic Street Preachers Discussion

Old 21-02-2019, 21:17
Knowlede Is Power

https://www.facebook.com/lr.noakes
Not a lot on there but it's definitely him.
SHR has commented on one of his posts.
Old 21-02-2019, 22:10
I am purity, they call me perverted

I, as many others have been posting on this thread, have remained quiet over the last few years, feel compelled to post something. I am a fan of the band, I am a huge Richey fan, and still a fan of the band. The times I've gotten to see them in concert have been wonderful and because I live in the States where they are not as well known, I've had opportunities to meet them and take pictures, even with Sean lol.

They have been nothing but polite, engaging, appreciative, funny etc. We are all human and we are all flawed, but hopefully learn from our mistakes and move on.

Having said that, to place all blame of suicide or disappearance, on anyone including his fans and in particular Richey's best friends, is so horrific to me, and I don't even know any of them personally. Unless Richey was physically forced to do something I cannot understand placing responsibility for his fate on others including him. He was not well mentally based on everything I have researched. It may appear that he could be selfish, and let's face it we all are to some degree, but people with severe depression are not necessarily thinking of others, more often than not if they are its because they feel they are a burden and people in their life might be better off without them. Or they are in so much pain they are not thinking of how others might feel at all. Selfish, maybe, but not with intent. To place all of Richey's problems solely on the shoulders of the remaining three members of the band is distressing, grossly inaccurate, and just unjustifiable to me particularly when you don't even know all the players. I sympathize with Rachel and I am more understanding of her feelings and this may be her way of coping.

Deep breathe, ok thanks for letting me get that all out. What I am really interested in discussing and/or reading in this book is about the timeline of crossing the bridge which opens up a lot more possibilities than I ever thought about. So I will try to wait patiently to discuss that.

Last edited by vaiden; 21-02-2019 at 22:24. Reason: I wanted to include the fans in the sentence of placing blame is horrific
Old 21-02-2019, 22:33
Knowlede Is Power

You would think the time line change due to the ticket discovery would open us new possibilities wouldn't you!
But those possibilities haven't led to any new leads or we would've heard about them. So at the moment it's not really a massive deal.

I'll be honest I'm sceptical about it as well because SHR seems to have been digging for that ticket thing to be the case. I'm possibly wrong there but just call it a hunch.
Old 21-02-2019, 23:14
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
It may appear that he could be selfish, and let's face it we all are to some degree, but people with severe depression are not necessarily thinking of others, more often than not if they are its because they feel they are a burden and people in their life might be better off without them.
Apparently, he was diagnosed by a few doctors as having Borderline Personality Disorder (I personally suspected for years that he had BPD), but one doctor apparently said he didn't think that Richey had it so now he has been diagnosed with Aspergers by the authors because he didn't have the RIGHT mental illness for the narrative they want to push.

Severe depression is a common problem for those with BPD. The pissy thing about it is, BPD is totally controllable with the right therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
I'll be honest I'm sceptical about it as well because SHR seems to have been digging for that ticket thing to be the case. I'm possibly wrong there but just call it a hunch.
I believe Rachel Edwards confirmed on that Richard Edwards FB page that the Metropolitan Police accept that the toll used a 24 hour clock, but still refuse to look into it despite acknowledging the initial error. Someone took his passport and some other items back to his flat in the early hours of Feb 1st. The question is, was he able to get to his flat in Cardiff mess about staging things for a little while and then make it back to the Embassy before 7 am (there were eyewitnesses who saw him leaving and heading towards the car park) or did Mr Edwards have help from someone?

This book may be a total crock, but they're right about one thing; his disappearance was poorly handled from the get go. Despite being an adult, his history of mental illness should have definitely been taken into account.
Old 21-02-2019, 23:14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuldistortion View Post
You would think the time line change due to the ticket discovery would open us new possibilities wouldn't you!
But those possibilities haven't led to any new leads or we would've heard about them. So at the moment it's not really a massive deal.

I can't imagine it making much difference, not after all these years.

But I do hope it sets Nicky's mind at ease. I remember him getting emotional when he recounted how he arrived at Richey's flat only to have missed him by a matter of minutes. Now he knows that the time on the receipt is from a 24hr clock, he would have missed him by twelve hours. Whatever consolation that can bring.
Old 22-02-2019, 02:09

[QUOTE=Bryter Layter;2677852]Apparently, he was diagnosed by a few doctors as having Borderline Personality Disorder (I personally suspected for years that he had BPD), but one doctor apparently said he didn't think that Richey had it so now he has been diagnosed with Aspergers by the authors because he didn't have the RIGHT mental illness for the narrative they want to push.

Severe depression is a common problem for those with BPD. The pissy thing about it is, BPD is totally controllable with the right therapy.

I completely agree. Even though I did not ever treat him, examine his case file from hospital, or spoken with friends and family, there is nothing I've seen, read, or heard that even remotely suggested he was on the autism spectrum. However I do think a lot of his behavior could warrant a diagnosis of Borderline Personality particularly the self harm and attention seeking. However, at least in the US in the nineties, BPD was a personality disorder notoriously known to be difficult to treat and more commonly associated with females and was rarely diagnosed.I think with what is now known today about the disorder it is a treatable condition. I think doctors are more likely to diagnose that today. Also, Richey describes depression and insomnia so accurately I wouldn't rule out severe profound depression either. Combined with the comorbid alcoholism and anorexia its hard to parse out a single diagnosis because I see several. I guess stated more simply, Richey had a lot of things going on that were clinically significant. I honestly have not sen him exhibiting any signs of Asburgers whatsoever. But hey, that's just my opinion.

[ / QUOTE ] I believe Rachel Edwards confirmed on that Richard Edwards FB page that the Metropolitan Police accept that the toll used a 24 hour clock, but still refuse to look into it despite acknowledging the initial error. Someone took his passport and some other items back to his flat in the early hours of Feb 1st. The question is, was he able to get to his flat in Cardiff mess about staging things for a little while and then make it back to the Embassy before 7 am (there were eyewitnesses who saw him leaving and heading towards the car park) or did Mr Edwards have help from someone?

Now in my mind the two weeks before the car was found and now the time change I could suspect the possibility of what could be some uncertainty of what he wanted to do, or he was waiting for someone, or someone else took the car, or insanity, or trying to decide how he wanted to cope, even impulsivity, waiting around for legal documents and I could go on and on...but I'm sure we would have heard about that by now

Last edited by vaiden; 22-02-2019 at 09:05. Reason: My novice grasp at even the most basic of computer skills like quoting someone correctly
Old 22-02-2019, 02:14

I am so sorry I am not posting the quotes correctly and putting them in the little colored boxes Help!
Old 22-02-2019, 02:50

Diagnosis of mental illness and disorders is pretty bullshit. If you do this, this and this then you have this. Speaking as someone who's been misdiagnosed, diagnosed and still they um and ah about what it could be, that's my opinion. I think it just makes life easier for the MH professionals when they fit someone in a box and offer this specific treatment or that one.

Personal blog, but one MH pro I used to see was pushing for me to offer information so I'd tick the Asperger's box. Personality traits like preferring your own company, not being touchy feely, getting deeply into certain subjects, they take that as Asperger's symptoms. Anyway, I went for assessment and hey, NO ASPERGER'S! No conspiracy theory here, but at that time they were pushing an agenda to get females with depressive illness to get tested to show more females have AS than they first thought.

Treatment's shit now and it always has been. The only benefit he'd have from the Priory is his own room and better food. I was a patient at one of the chain (under NHS) and it's pitiful and not much different from an NHS psych ward.

I only meant to say something about the quote thing. Make sure it says [ / QUOTE ] after the quote and the quoted part ends up in the grey box. Splitting the quote up is more difficult and I can't be arsed to do it.
Old 22-02-2019, 04:09

Thanks handbag!

As for the MH diagnosis no matter what one wants to call it, Richey was not well. I think it is unethical to diagnose or label someone who is not around or without lots of evidence. Based solely on his behavior in interviews I see no evidence of AD. This is a pet peeve of mine. Today it seems everyone has autism just like it seems in the nineties everyone had ADHD and this explains everything. Perhaps because of my profession I am taking things so literally. I take issue with someone who is not a professional nor treated him to decide all of the sudden all these years later he is autistic and now it can be proven that this diagnosis was the reason for all his problems. From my experience, you would notice it right off the bat in his interviews. But as you can see I also take issue with some saying he was so selfish to do this etc...I typically try to hold my tongue as I understand why most lay people may believe that. But I digress lol. Let's get back to the timeline

Even though this is not new news about hamburger or food wrappers being found in the car it never occurred to me to think wait....Richey doesn't eat so why is there evidence of food lol
Old 22-02-2019, 18:11
Winterlover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocitygirl View Post
I can't imagine it making much difference, not after all these years.

But I do hope it sets Nicky's mind at ease. I remember him getting emotional when he recounted how he arrived at Richey's flat only to have missed him by a matter of minutes. Now he knows that the time on the receipt is from a 24hr clock, he would have missed him by twelve hours. Whatever consolation that can bring.
It must be maddening but yes, I really can’t see the timing ‘breakthrough’ being much but the hugest missed opportunity at this point. It was too long ago now.

...but this is some small comfort to come from it at least, I hope.

Guys. Full disclosure. I done bought a second-hand copy of the sodding book from eBay (I think all copies left on there now are still new/preorder). This way I get to know wtf we’re dealing with/sift out the tidbits of actual Richey info, but also don’t have to give any money or sales figures to the project itself. It was the best compromise I could think of and I don’t know how I didn’t come up with it sooner.

I’ve had a dispatch email and should probably invest in a mountain of Kalms and chamomile tea in the meantime. Will obvs report back if no-one else has by whenever.

Last edited by sofarsideways; 22-02-2019 at 18:14.
Old 22-02-2019, 20:46
Knowlede Is Power

Keep us well informed please
Old 22-02-2019, 22:28

out of curiosity and probably same laziness on my part to figure this out myself but how long does it take to drive from the hotel to his flat??
Old 22-02-2019, 22:45
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaiden View Post
out of curiosity and probably same laziness on my part to figure this out myself but how long does it take to drive from the hotel to his flat??
By car, if you put your foot down, you can make it in 2-3 hours. London - Cardiff. At that hour of the morning, with lighter traffic, it should be quick enough.
Old 23-02-2019, 18:19
Builder of routine

I don't call a 2-3 hour drive quick lol and then he was supposed to have come back to London ? Bit of a faff no?
Old 24-02-2019, 03:13

Does anyone think it is possible that someone else could have been driving the band's car between Feb 1 and when the car was found? 14 Feb or 17 Feb? Or am I overthinking this?